Preschool Curriculum: Is it Important?
When choosing a preschool for your little one, there are a lot of things to consider. From the atmosphere to the teachers, the choice can be overwhelming. One factor that is most important to consider when choosing a preschool is the quality of the curriculum.
While the word “curriculum” might sound stuffy and academic, our curriculum is anything but. In fact, it is the backbone of what provides a well-rounded, fun, and quality experience for your child, as well as what prepares them best for their exciting educational career beyond preschool.
At Little Sunshine’s Playhouse & Preschool® we pride ourselves on our Reggio Emilia inspired curriculum, Creatively Shine™.
Why Is Preschool Curriculum Important?
During the time of infancy to pre-kindergarten age, your child will go through some of their most crucial developments. Most of these developments are subconscious and are grown from the input of the world around them.
We believe that during these stages of life, the most important work that your child can do is play! Creating a structured atmosphere of play and learning where your child can thrive socially, cognitively, emotionally and physically is of the utmost importance.
A preschool curriculum is essential because:
- During the first four years of your child’s life, they are able to learn at a rapid rate. They want and need to learn new information.
- Children thrive on the structure that an established curriculum brings.
- Learning social skills, like how to share, speak-up in a classroom, and practice empathy will set your child up for success after preschool.
Utilizing a solid curriculum will create a classroom environment and structure that enables your child to learn and grow through a variety of fun and engaging preschool learning activities.
How Is the Creatively Shine™ Curriculum Different?
Our Creatively Shine™ curriculum gives our teachers the guidance to help your children develop into the best people they can be. Here are some ways the Creatively Shine™ curriculum stands out:
- Whole-Child Development. Our curriculum focuses on the development of the social/emotional, cognitive, physical and language elements through original projects based on monthly themes and related activities.
- Work is Play! Based on our monthly preschool lesson themes, we teach lessons, manners and social skills all through preplanned play. This teaches your child that learning is fun, and equips them with a love for learning and school that they can carry with them throughout the rest of their education.
- Smooth Transitions and Encouraged Exploration. Our Creatively Shine™ curriculum guides our teachers through each day providing a structure that supports an enriched classroom environment, giving your child an atmosphere that promotes well-rounded learning!
- Consistency. Your child thrives on consistency, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to creating an environment and curriculum that is consistent across all Little Sunshine’s locations.
- Based on a philosophy that children are curious and creative. Our curriculum is based on the Italian philosophy, Reggio Emilia. This theory supports individual growth through social interaction and group work.
- Emergent Curriculum. We believe that children are collaborators and communicators and that their teacher is their partner, meant to nurture and guide them along the path to discovery.
If you are looking for a preschool that emphasizes individual growth and instills a love for learning in your child, then Little Sunshine’s Playhouse® might be the place for you!
To learn more about our curriculum and Little Sunshine’s Playhouse & Preschool®, contact a location near you.